Likhichaj stone age paintings
|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.|
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
The paintings were discovered in 1979 by D. P. S. Dwarikesh, a professor of linguistics at the University of Michigan, and Shri Ram Sharma, a civil engineer from Pahargarh. Dwarikesh and Sharma conducted preliminary surveys of the caves, documenting over 600 paintings, and speculated that there were thousands more. However, they were not able to obtain permission to excavate and the caves have not been investigated since.
Made with red and white ochre-based paints, the depictions include human and animal figures as well as abstract shapes. The dating of the paintings is uncertain. According to Dwarikesh, ostrich egg shells discovered in the caves were radiocarbon dated to 25,000 years ago, but they also discovered Iron Age artefacts dating to ca. 1500 BCE and the paintings themselves depict tools consistent with a date of 600 BCE. More recent estimates suggest they are between 5000 and 8000 years old.
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
- Dwarikesh, Dwarika Prasad Sharma (1980). Pahargarh Cave Paintings: A Glimpse of Indian Prehistory. Western Michigan University.
- Willis, Michael D.; Maroo, Pukhraj; Misra, Om Prakash (2010). The Chambal Valley: A Heritage Treasure. Bookwell.
|This article relating to archaeology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- Saxena, Pankaj (15 August 2015). "Ancient Temples and Modern Dacoits: The Story of Morena". IndiaFacts. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "India cave project gets preliminary grant OK". Western News. 7 (14). 4 December 1980.
- Bobb, Dilip (15 October 1981). "Pahargarh caves: A wealth of archaeological treasure". India Today. Retrieved 2017-07-11.